In our minds, the concept of oral hygiene draws an image of healthy teeth. Most of us do not realize that having dazzling and correctly aligned teeth isn’t enough to protect your oral health’s well-being. It’s also important to take proper care of your gums. Gum disease is usually painless in the initial stages and thus goes unnoticed for a long span. Did your shoulders shiver as you read the last sentence? There’s nothing to be concerned about! Taking some time out of your regular schedule to invest in dental care can help you avoid gum disease with ease. In this blog, the best Springfield dentist has come up with ways to avoid gum disease. So, what are you waiting for? Go through the sections below to find answers to queries related to this topic.
Gum Disease – Definition
But, before we talk about how to prevent gum disease, it’s essential to understand what the problem is. Gum disease can be defined as an oral problem that develops as a result of plaque buildup above and below the gum line. Plaque is basically a colorless film-like substance made up of potentially dangerous bacteria. Tooth decay is another dental problem that is caused due to the formation of plaque. Gum disease, as previously said, is not detectable at an early stage. As a result, you should be very careful to recognize the early signs of this issue.
We have provided you with some of the common symptoms of gum disease in the pointers below:
- Inflammed or swollen gums
- Unusual reddishness in the gums
- Bleeding from the gums while flossing or brushing
- Tenderness in the gums
- Suffering from the problem of persistent bad taste in the mouth or halitosis
If you notice any of the above-mentioned signs, do not hesitate to get in touch with a dentist. Contact Kelly Dental if you are looking for the best gum treatment in Springfield. You can just give us a call to schedule your visit.
What Are The Tips To Prevent Gum Disease?
The best Springfield dentist has designed effective tips to not suffer from gum disease or periodontal problems. They are:
- Do floss regularly – Flossing at least once a day is a must if you want to avoid gum disease. It helps to the food particles lodged between your teeth and along your gum line. Many people believe that flossing can harm their gums. This is a misunderstanding! If done correctly, flossing is never bad for your gums. Flossing before brushing your teeth is recommended for improved outcomes.
- Brushing your teeth – Brushing your teeth is required in order to remove plaque from your teeth and gums. As a result, brushing your teeth at least twice a day can help avoid gum infection.
- Use a mouthwash – Rinse your mouth with mouthwash to fight bacteria that cause gum disease. There are a variety of mouthwashes available on the market to choose from. You should choose a mouthwash that is appropriate for your oral needs.
- Maintain a healthy diet – Sugary foods should be avoided if you want to keep your gums healthy. Are you curious to know why? Well, in the presence of sugar particles, dangerous bacteria can proliferate in the human mouth. On the other hand, you should increase the number of fruits and vegetables in your regular diet.
- Drink adequate water – It is necessary to drink sufficient amounts of water on a daily basis. L lack of water consumption causes dehydration, which leads to decreased saliva production. Now, the saliva’s main job now is to wipe away food particles caught between your teeth and on your gums. Gum disease-causing bacteria can thrive in the presence of these leftover particles. As a result, having less saliva can increase your risk of developing major tooth problems.
Now that you have gained knowledge about the tips to avoid gum disease or periodontal problems, do adopt these measures. Take care of your gums and lead a healthy and oral disease-free life. You can call us to know more about gum disease. We are always here to assist you in every possible manner.